Friday, March 1, 2024

almost dead. november 15. a reflection.

i came close to dying once.

it would have been a slow death.

it would have hurt a lot of people besides just me.


i had plans to run away from everything.

my house, my family, my life, my future.

because i felt alone, like no one wanted me anymore.

i really didn't care if i died.


i knew it was the wrong choice.


right before i planned on leaving, i called it off.

i emailed my mom and asked her for one last chance.

i told her i surrendered and i would do absolutely anything to get sober.

she gracefully gave me that last chance.


that day was today.


she and i had the most beautiful afternoon.

she read me the short stories she wrote when she was a young woman.

stories she had buried in the bottom of her green cedar hope chest.

we had lunch.

we laughed.

we talked about a few hard things, too.

and there will be more hard things.

but i will never forget how gentle she was.


it's late now.


i just walked into her room to see if she needed anything and to thank her.

she was asleep.

she looked like an angel.

i could not bare to wake her.


maybe tomorrow i will find the words.

i will find the words to thank her for saving my life.


this is fucking hard.

but whenever i have the chance to choose kindness,

to choose grace,

to choose love,

i will do so, in honor of my mom.

she is the definition of unconditional love.


i want people to remember me for being made in her likeness.


No comments:

Post a Comment