Sunday, March 3, 2024

Marriage, and other things (Part 1/2)

it was 2006. Maybe the early spring,

near high school graduation.

the night was like most nights that year had been:

never long enough.

we were growing up together

and growing apart at the very same time.

in less than a year, we'd all be off to college.

i remember how dark the sky was.

and as i stretched back in my chair, i inhaled how twinkly the stars were.

how small i felt

and how much i liked the feeling of being insignificant.

that's when i heard him.


i was interrupted from my spiritual moment.

a shrieking: "I'm gonna marry you" in an unfamiliar voice.

i had never seen him before.

he was new to my friend group.

despite his abrupt entre into my orbit,

i allowed him to entertain me with musings about his next steps

and why ridley was a better high school than springfield

and other things about literature and how he liked his coffee.

i wanted to know it all.

and he was ready to propose.

but we let it stay there that night.

our lives intertwined throughout college,

but only as much as would be considered cordial but distant enough.


i forget what day of the week it was.

i forget what made me do it.

but around a similar time of year as we first met, early spring,

6 years later,

i kissed you.

and you kissed me back.


No comments:

Post a Comment