Friday, July 6, 2012

Gladstone Station

The warmth of the sun beat down on her face. She heard the low, muffled horn of the train sound-off.

"Landsdown," poured over the loudspeaker.

She kept her eyes closed. The back of her eyelids were the perfect canvas for her imagination. Thick, van-goghy swirls of dark greys and browns soon morphed into something that quite resembeled a face. Blurry at first, the face approached her and soon became a person she knew. And not just any person she knew, but a boy she knew. 

"Gladstone Station."

The door to her train cart swung wildly open and made a starteling noise, not unlike its usual intrusion.

Realizing she had fallen asleep for just enough time to see him again, her eyes opened. She noticed the sun settleing comfortably behind a cloud.

Her stop is "Swarthmore." Just three stops away.

A tiny part of her, the part of her she keeps secret, hopes he'll be there to pick her up.

1 comment:

  1. Well done. As I finished reading, I found myself closing my eyes as I sat on the beach, imagining the face of someone I wish to see dearly - just one last time.

    ReplyDelete