Monday, July 9, 2012

a sandwich and a cigarette

its noon. i don't remember getting here, but if someone were to approach me, i imagine i'd say i walked here. there is a slight breeze, which would be nearly undetectable if it weren't for my keen sense of awareness today, or if i had on long sleeves and long pants, and i am currently adorned with neither. i look to my right, someone is seated next to me eating his sandwich. "breezy out today, huh?" i'm in the mood for conversation, i suppose. in reply, he exerts some noise which i really cant describe so this will have to suffice: "humf?!" kind of like saying, "i really don't feel like chatting with you!" and "i do have to agree with you!" all at the same time. why are people so complicated? i'll never know why, so i settle with my age old answer.


an older lady walks by with a cigarette. her fingers are long and slender. her hands remind me of claws. but regal claws. the claws of something i certainly would want to be friends with, rather than enemies. shes close enough to hear me if i speak louder than i spoke to the man next to me. "can i bum a cigarette?" bear in mind, i don't smoke, but like i said i'd prefer to be her friend than the opposite. "um, well sure... but i don't have a lighter." how peculiar... she smokes but doesn't carry a lighter. as a non-smoker, i find this quite odd, but ah ha! just as she makes her ludicrous comment, the woman standing next to the man with the sandwich drops her purse, out of which falls a lighter. (i am the only one who sees this occur.) "its cool, i can make fire with my teeth," i say, giggling. the woman with the cigarette seems rather confused, but hands me what it is that ive asked for. her right claw gently grazes my hand in the transfer.


shivers.


"excuse me, can i borrow your lighter?"

No comments:

Post a Comment